Sunday, April 3, 2022

Doc Spine Time

Okay guys, here's a really quick update:

    Chopping up and transcribing the remaining two interviews took a WHILE. No matter how much I tried to maximize my time, it was still really time-consuming. For those that were curious, this was my set-up:


    On one computer (my beautiful and beloved Monster), I chopped up Tess's and Maya's interview while tweaking and finalizing the transcriptions on the other. So, for instance, if Tess's answer was long (I wanted to listen to everything so I could familiarize myself with their answers), I would be fixing the format of the transcript. While an interview was exporting (since I had to transfer it onto my computer to transcribe it), I would listen to the interviews on my Mac and fix minor errors in the transcripts. Despite working 24/7, all of this took me about three or four hours. This was especially due to my Mac's incredibly slow speeds (unlike Monster, it didn't handle a large quantity of 4K footage very well).

    Regardless, I was still really happy how things turned out. I now have everything I need to begin the line-edit, which I organized neatly into folders on the hard drive. I made a "transcriptions" folder where I will be keeping each person's exported interview, transcription, and Premiere file (for the transcription). This is obviously just in case something happens, because moving forward all I will really need are the transcriptions, which I have already put into a Google document (all on the Google Drive folder Kim created for the project. Check it out!




    I also started making a list of all of the media I could get for the TVs, since I wanted to make sure I got things that correlated with what the interviewees mentioned while discussing the topic. This is what I have written down so far. I will start looking for this tomorrow and will also ask Kim for some help, that way I can start finalizing the line-edit. The things on this list are just suggestions and I will definitely be adding more to the list as I keep looking:



    I'm exhausted at the moment, but tomorrow I will begin the highlighting, re-structuring, and line-edit process - which genuinely, I am quite excited to start! I have my free hour tomorrow during 8th period, so I will definitely get some work done then. I hope to have the entire line-edit done by Tuesday, Wednesday the absolute latest! I really do not want to push things any further since I have to work on the B-roll, sound, and grading. However, I consider the line-edit the most important part of editing (and the most time-consuming one) because without a line-edit, you don't have a story, and without a story you don't have a documentary. Let's hope for the best! Hopefully I'll also get some more time in class to work on editing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

After All This Time...

Well, well, well.... I guess it is time for you guys to see the final product!     Despite all of the hardships and stress (especially with ...